Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Why Should I Choose IMC? Part II

After graduation, I took a job in the energy industry in Houston, TX. The pay was great. The company was great. The job was great. But, as time went on, I realized that if I wanted to be able to contribute as much as my coworkers – who were 20+ year career professionals – I would need to go back and hone my skills.
But, where should I focus myself?

I kept asking myself that question because my job had me wearing many different hats. So, I sat down and listed all of the aspects of my job that motivated me the most and I learned one thing above all else: I do my best work when I use both sides of my brain.

I liked finance. I liked industrial relations. But, I liked it the most when I was doing both at the same time.

Business school seemed to be the initial answer. However, I noticed that most schools force students to take courses that just did not interest me. What interested me was innovation, and I wanted to be a part of it.

I took another look at IMC and I realized that I need to go to Medill. To me, the benefits and opportunities were endless. (Take a look at the video’s on the side of the screen about residencies.) Fortune 500 companies are looking for people who can think in terms of Integrated Marketing Communications. The leaders of the marketing and advertising world are coming to Medill.

No comments: